Main zoonosis transmitted by reptiles:
It's the most important zoonosis.
- infectious agent: a bacterium: Salmella sp. More than 25% of the reptiles ?(mostly aquatic turtles and lizards, but all the reptiles) would be carriers of salmonella. More than 2400 different serotypes can be found. All are potentially a zoonosis.
- animal disease:
- most of the time, they are healthy carriers. Salmonellas are normal hosts of the digestive tract of reptiles for which they are not pathogenic.
- sometimes gastroenteritis
- sometimes other infectious diseases
- Mean of contamination:
- contact mouth-to-hands or mouth-to-pet soiled by droppings or water (aquatic turtles)
- contact with rodents used as food for reptiles (200 cases in the UK in 2008-2009)
- human desease :
- in fragile people (young children under 5 years old, sick people, older people, immuno-depressed people), septicemia and death.
Prevention can be summarized by three words: HYGIEN, HYGIEN, HYGIEN