Hygiene rules in different situations of pet care at home
Contact with animals
- avoid contact by your mouth with a pet or your hands while you are touching it
- Do not share food or drink with a pet
- Do not put your hands near or in your mouth, or eat, drink or smoke while handling a pet
- Before and after a contact, hands current hygien,
- After contact with a reptile: hands antiseptic hygiene
- Keep pets and their cage accessories away from human food preparation and consumption areas, sinks and bathtubs and where infants are bathed
- Do not use the kitchen sink, kitchen benches, bathroom sinks or bathtubs to bathe reptiles or wash their cages and accessories.
- Dispose of any wastewater and faecal material in the toilet, not in the bathtub or household sink
- Young children, frail and immunodepressed people:
- Do not allow children under 5 years old to have contact with exotic pets or their accessories
- Always closely supervise children under the age of 12 when they are handling snakes.
- Do not allow reptiles to roam freely in areas where young children come into close contact with the floor and do not walk into such areas after walking through reptile enclosures
- People who have reduced immunity (eg. the elderly, people with diabetes) have a higher risk than others of becoming infected with diseases from reptiles. They should either avoid contact with reptiles or use very strict hygiene measures.
Cleaning and disinfection of the cages or terrarium
Introduction of a new animal
It'is necessary to quarantine:
She has several interests:
- to prevent the entry of new pathogens in livestock.
- to allow the animal to adjust gradually to the flora of livestock, gives him the time to defend himself against her
- to gradually change his diet.
- to recover slowly from the stress of transportation.
- to allow to treat the pet preventively against various deseases.
- to check the animal for some disease (psittacosis, salmonellosis...) and make the coproscopies.
The duration of the quarantine depends on the species and times of incubations of diseases we don't want to see enter his breeding:
- bare minimum: 7 days
- recommended if possible: 60 to 90 days
- snakes: 6 months